Sunday 11 October 2015

Orange Cinnamon Halloween Cookies


Halloween is just around the corner so you better hurry up and prepare your treat list!! And if you like fall flavors this cookies are just perfect for you. They are so tasteful and aromatic they will make your entire house smell like sweet orange and cinnamon. I tell you once they are done it will be very hard to resist! And if this explosion of aromas inspires you why not painting them? That's how I felt I had to do. So I quickly whisked my royal icing took my favorites brushes and started painting :) Hope you like the result!!

Ingredients: 
makes approx. 25 medium cookies:
  • 200g butter
  • 200g brown sugar 
  • 1 egg
  • 400g flour
  • finely grated zest of 1 orange
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

The recipe for the Royal Icing is here.

Preparation:

Cookies: Preheat the oven at 180C. 
In a bowl of an electric mixer beet the butter and sugar together until creamy and fluffy. Ad the egg mix until all combines. Add the orange zest and mix again. Now add the flour, cinnamon and mix until all ingredients come together. Take your dough out of the bowl and cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 30min.
Take your dough out of the fridge, sprinkle some flour on the work surface and roll out the cookie dough to about 5mm thick. 
Using cookie cutters cut your cookie shapes and place them on baking trays lines with baking paper. 

Bake the cookies for about 12-15min, depending on their size or until they get a nice golden color. 

Leave them to cool down completely before decorating with royal icing or storing.
For the background of my cookies I used royal icing flooding consistency. Once the cookies are iced leave them for at least 8h for the royal icing to set. 

I have painted my cookies using always a dry brush and edible food colorings in gel. 


Enjoooooy!!!! 






Boooooooo…….





2 comments:

  1. Wow...These are gorgeous. Im actually working on a Halloween cookie post as I type the dough is chilling in the fridge. I wanted to do decorated cookies but once you start adding on layer upon layer to get intricate detail the cookie starts to get drowned out by the frosting layers. I love this idea of painted designs. It gives such an authentic feel. Again amazing job.

    <3
    Dani
    www.hauteinparadise.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani for stepping by <3 I like decorating with royal icing but yes I agree that sometimes too much of icing makes the cookie disappear somehow! It was my first time I tried to paint cookies and I love the effect it gives and it allows the designs to be much more detailed. So I guess I'll keep on painting ;-) Thanks again and have a great Halloween :D

      Delete